It’s Memorial Day the unofficial start of summer! Don’t gain back all those lost lbs! Here are a few tips that will keep you lean and mean for the summer especially with all those Barbeques!
1. Choose low-fat meats like chicken or turkey or trim the fat. When marinating stay away from high calorie BBQ and bottled dressings or sauces. Olive oil, lemon juice with a little white wine and spices makes a great healthy marinade.
2. Stay away from the Mayonnaise; side dishes like high calorie potato and pasta salads. These dishes pack on the fat. You can make delicious pasta salads, by using Whole Wheat pasta and mixing chopped veggies and tomatoes with a garlic and oil dressing. Watch out for the baked beans, they contain loads of sugar.
3. Portion control, is important, choose a small plate. Also, stop eating way before you are full. Because if you are still eating when that full feeling comes on it’s too late and you have stuffed yourself. Eat slowly, don’t inhale, it takes 20 minutes for your brain to know that your stomach is full. Stay away from second helpings.
4. Drink two bottles of water 30 minutes before you start eating. Put the water in a wine glass with ice, a great way to mingle. Your stomach will be happy with the excess fluid to help digest your food properly, plus it will help you feel full so as not to over eat.
5. When going for dessert I know it’s hard to stay away from the cake or ice cream, so only have a bite if you need to taste. But the better alternative is fruit. You can also drizzle cinnamon spiced honey and use yogurt as a dip. Delicious.
6. BBQ those vegetables and put them on skewers. Sliced Zucchini sprinkled with garlic salt and black pepper is one of my favorite side dishes.
7. Stay away from the beer, very fattening and makes you bloat. Wine spritzers are a great choice, and refreshing.
Hope this helps have a great holiday weekend.